Request Free Consultation Today
Orthodontics involves several treatment methods that are intended to align the misaligned teeth. Apart from affecting a person’s facial and physical appearance, malocclusion leads to an improper bite. If this persists for long, then it also becomes responsible for headaches, TMJ disorder, neck, back, and shoulder pain.
What are the various types of malocclusion?
- Overbite: The upper front teeth protrude over the lower teeth.
- Underbite: The lower teeth stick out forward or the upper teeth lie far backward.
- Open bite: The upper and lower jaws are clenched, the molars of the upper and lower jaw meet but the frontal teeth don’t.
- Crossbite: The teeth of the lower jaw would be displaced either towards the tongue or the cheeks and wouldn’t align perfectly with the teeth of the upper jaw.
- Reverse bite: The upper teeth fall inside the lower teeth when the jaw is clenched.
- Spacing: There are unequal and excessive gaps between adjacent teeth which is caused due to the extraction of teeth or a wide dental ridge.
- Crowding: There are more teeth than the dental ridge can hold, due to which they overlap on each other.
Why should you get malocclusion treated?
Orthodontic treatment helps in aligning the teeth, thus offering a healthy and beautiful smile. If the misaligned teeth are left untreated for a long time, they could lead to TMJ disorder, pain in the jaws, unequal and excessive wear of teeth, jawbone deterioration, etc. Also, cleaning crooked teeth can be difficult as a lot of microbes tend to get left behind on the teeth no matter how well you brush and floss. Hence, getting your teeth aligned perfectly would be of great help.
Types of orthodontic treatment
The treatment of malocclusion is carried out using orthodontic appliances. They can briefly be divided into fixed and removable appliances.
- Special Fixed Appliances: They are used to prevent tongue thrusting and thumb sucking. These devices remain attached to the teeth by bands.
- Fixed Space Maintainers: If a premature tooth is lost untimely, a space maintainer is placed till the new tooth emerges or a prosthetic is placed.
Looking for orthodontics treatment in Queen Creek, AZ? Visit Matheson Dentistry & Implant Center clinic right away!