Request Free Consultation Today
Making sure children practice optimum oral hygiene and taking them to a dentist for regular consultations is vital in ensuring their oral health. In fact, early oral care allows the individual to have a great set of teeth that are free of infections when they grow up. Hence, the ADA suggests parents take their child for their first oral consultation starting at the age of 6 months to a year.
At Matheson Dentistry, we have a well-trained and experienced staff who have their way with children. Their friendly and compassionate approach allows them to understand young patients better, which in turn, helps us treat them in the best way possible.
First oral consultation
Babies get their first set of teeth between the age of six months to a year. Parents should be educated about how to take care of their baby’s oral health which, otherwise, could lead to complications. During the first visit, we would check for any unexpected issues that could upset the baby’s oral health, such as cavities, infections, malocclusion, problems with the tooth eruption, etc. We would give you instructions about how to care for the baby’s teeth.
What do pediatric dentists treat?
Pediatric dentists treat patients who belong to a wide range of ages, from infancy to adolescence. Some of the treatment options we offer are as follows:
- Monitoring the growth of teeth: As the milk teeth fall and the permanent teeth start to emerge, care must be taken to see that they do not deviate from their positions. Malocclusion can entirely ruin one’s smile and make it quite difficult to maintain oral hygiene. In the future, it can lead to pain in the jaws, Temporomandibular joints, neck, etc. Hence, we would carefully monitor the growth of your child’s teeth and ensure they don’t go out of alignment.
- Regular teeth cleaning: Plaque and tartar deposits are known to be the main cause of several oral infections. The microbes in these deposits feed on the food residues in the mouth and can cause cavities and gum diseases. We can get rid of the tartar deposits through a procedure called scaling. Regular oral cleaning sessions are required at least once in six months.
- Fillings: Fillings are restorations that are used to restore teeth that are decayed due to bacterial activity. Tooth-colored fillings are the best choice to treat cavity-affected teeth as they restore both the aesthetics and strength of the tooth.
- Orthodontics treatment: Dentists always insist on getting malocclusion treated at a younger age as the teeth tend to adjust better to their new alignment. Also, the treatment period would be shorter as the teeth move easily. You can choose between dental braces and Invisalign for your child’s orthodontic care.
- Sealants: Sealants are applied to the occlusal grooves of the molars and premolars to prevent the accumulation of the microbes and food debris in them. It is a preventive measure to keep cavities away.
- Fluoride treatment: Fluoride helps to strengthen the teeth against cavities. The regular supply of Fluoride to the body is provided by the water we drink and toothpaste we use. But, when it isn’t adequate, Fluoride treatment would replenish its amount in the teeth.
Entrust your child’s oral care to us. Call us at 480-888-8123 or schedule an online appointment to have a consultation with our family dentist, Dr. Matheson, who serves the dental needs of Queen Creek and also the adjoining cities such as San Tan Valley, Gilbert, etc.